Monday, March 16, 2015

God Let Me Be A Preacher; B. H. Carroll

"I magnify my office, O my God, as I get nearer home. I can say more truthfully every year, 'I thank God that He put me in this office;' I thank Him that He would not let me have any other; that He shut me up to this glorious work; and when I get home among the blessed on the bank of the everlasting deliverance and look back toward time and all of its clouds and sorrows, and pains, and privations, I expect to stand up and shout for joy that down here in the fog and mists, down here in the dust and struggle, God let me be a preacher. I magnify my office in life; I magnify it in death; I magnify it in heaven; I magnify it, whether poor, or rich, whether sick or well, whether strong or weak, anywhere, everywhere, among all people, in any crowd. Lord God, I am glad that I am a preacher, that I am a preacher of the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ.” 
-B. H. Carroll, Belton, Texas; 1892. Carroll (AD 1843-1914), was a pastor and founding president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

I recall Evangelist Tom Clawson printing this statement by B. H. Carroll and handing it out at a state convention.

My dad, Joe Brumbelow, used to say he would not step down from the office of pastor to be the president of the United States of America.

Pastors, remember your high calling.

-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, March 16, AD 2015.

How To Keep Your Pastor
Random Advice to Pastors, Part 1
The Girl Who Saved His Ministry
How to Get a Life When Ministry Drains it Out of You
More articles in lower right margin. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?