Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Girl Who Saved His Ministry

All pastors have bad days. Things can get mighty lonely and discouraging. Sometimes Mondays are the worst. One Monday morning early in Joe’s ministry he decided he could not take it any longer. He got a sheet of church stationary out of his desk drawer and wrote out his resignation as pastor. He was absolutely sincere. He was not going to put up with things as they were any longer. He folded it and put it back in the desk drawer. He would read it to the church the next Wednesday night.

Feeling pretty low, he went to his car and began driving around the community. He drove behind the church where Duff Lane ended in the back church parking lot. As he drove slowly down Duff Lane, he saw a group of girls playing in one of the yards. He heard one little girl call to him, “Brother Joe, please stop.” After he stopped, the little girl ran to the car and said, “Hi, Brother Joe, how are you today?” He answered, “Fine” but later confessed that he lied! Then the little girl said, “I wanted my friends to meet you. I’ve been telling them how you told me about Jesus and I got saved and then how you ‘baba-tized’ me. Brother Joe, thank you for telling me about Jesus. Thank you for ‘baba-tizing’ me.” She then introduced her friends each by name. They all went back to their playing.

Joe returned to his office, took out his letter of resignation, and tore it into little bits. He later said, “No one could have gotten me to resign for anything. That little girl did not realize it, but she may have saved my ministry.” God began to work there as never before. The next year more than 100 were baptized at Doverside Baptist Church.

-from The Wit and Wisdom of Pastor Joe Brumbelow, hannibalbooks.com, p. 108.
Available at Hannibal Booksamazon, or order from your local Christian Bookstore.
Or order from: David Brumbelow, P.O. Box 300, Lake Jackson, TX 77566 USA; $12.95.

-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, October 26, AD 2010.

Wit And Wisdom Of My Dad (Wit & Wisdom of Pastor Joe Brumbelow, the book)
Other articles in lower right hand margin under Gulf Coast Pastor Articles (Labels).

4 comments:

  1. This article brings me such encouragement. I immediately recognized it from your book, which was such a blessing to read. Thank you for continuing to take a stand on what the Bible “still” says about conservatism, morality, alcohol, and many other unpopular issues. I come from a family of Southern Baptist ministers, and the three who are now rejoicing in heaven, would be sad to see how worldly many SB churches are today. Please know your articles do make a positive and important difference.

    Blessings to you and your congregation.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda. You words are very encouraging. I did not know you had found my blog, but I’m glad you did. You and your family have meant much to me through the years.

    We always need more to stand up for the principles you mention. It just could be that previous generations were right on these issues and knew more than some today give them credit.

    Hope you are doing well.
    David R. Brumbelow

    ReplyDelete
  3. David...I bet there are many ministers out there who can relate to your dad's situation. I wonder how many have a story like that which saved their ministries. I'm so grateful for that little girl who stopped your dad that day. NO telling how many souls have entered heaven as a result. Such joy to consider. selahV

    ReplyDelete
  4. SelahV,
    Thanks, and I agree. Hope the pastors out there keep on keeping on. Hope they realize there is no greater job than telling others about Jesus.
    David R. Brumbelow

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?