Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sharing Your Faith, by Evangelist Bill Fay

Bill Fay is an evangelist. He is author of Share Jesus without Fear, a great, brief, simple book on sharing Jesus’ salvation with others (I think there is a small group study edition by LifeWay and a regular book by Broadman & Holman). There is a link to his website in the right margin of this blog, under Sites I Mainly Agree With.

Few people know how to get to the heart of the issue of evangelism like Fay. If you read the following short article; it will be time well spent. Any time you see a Baptist Press article by Bill Fay, know it is worth reading.

Sharing Your Faith During Easter

FORT MYERS, Fla. (BP)--With Easter just days away, wouldn't it be wonderful to see the Lord enter the hearts of family and friends and people that we love?

There is not a conversation that you cannot turn into a spiritual test-point to see if God is at work. Let me give you a simple example.

You could be talking with someone about sports and simply say, "What is your favorite sport?" They may reply, "football." Just say, "I am just curious: Did you ever notice that so many pro athletes destroy their lives no matter how much money they're making? I'm just curious, do you think there's a heaven and hell?" You can go from football to heaven in one simple question.

I was in a restaurant the other day and a server came to my table. I simply said, "I love the cross you're wearing. Have you figured out when you die, where you're going?" She broke down crying. She had lost her 21 year old son to cancer and her mother had died. She was in church with me the next day.

One of my favorite questions is, "Do you have any kind of spiritual belief?" I don't ask someone if they believe in God. The second question I like asking is, "To you, who is Jesus?" If they have a relationship with Christ, they'll say, "My Lord, My Savior."

I really like asking someone, "When you die where will you go?" Most people will say, "I hope heaven." I then ask, "Why would God let you in?" If they give a works answer -- for instance, "I'm a really wonderful person" -- I ask, "If what you're believing is not true, do you want to know?"

I want to give you a challenge before your family and friends arrive at your home for Easter. Start to pray and think about one person you could go to and just ask these questions. You will experience how open people are. A lost person doesn't have any answers in this world of chaos, but the Christian does. If you're a born-again Christian, you have the only answer that's possible, and that is the risen Christ.
by Bill Fay, posted on Mar 29, 2010; bpnews.net (published by permission).

Note:  You may also be interested in The Roman Road of Salvation, and other articles under Evangelism listed in right margin below Gulf Coast Pastor Articles (Labels). 

-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, March 30, AD 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited that my church Broadmoor Baptist Church in Shreveport, La 71105 has decided to use your book of "Witnessing W/O Fear in a teaching seminar for Sunday School(not what it is called today)during the month of March 2012 .
    For several years I have tried to call attention to what our fellowship should be doing to reach the local area and beyond .
    I see this as an answer to my vocal concern, but as an answer to prayer .
    Praise God !
    William Dugard, Shreveport, La 71105

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?