Monday, October 11, 2021

Columbus Day; Quotes

Each year the USA observes the holiday, Columbus Day.  It is not, however, as popular as years past.  Was Christopher Columbus (AD 1451-1506) perfect?  Of course not.  Did he have the political correctness of our times?  No.  At points I would disagree with him in practice and theology.  But was he a great leader?  Of course he was.  May we enjoy Columbus Day, celebrate his successes, learn from his faults.  After all, he discovered America in 1492 (yes, I know the American Indians already knew about America) and opened up the New World to European exploration (both good and bad).  It is obvious he had faith in God. Columbus is pivotal in the history of North and South America.  A few of his quotes: 

“I should not proceed by land to the East, as is customary, but by a Westerly route, in which direction we have hitherto no certain evidence that any one has gone.”  -Christopher Columbus  

“It was the Lord who put into my mind that fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies.  All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me.  There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous inspiration from the Holy Scriptures.”  -Christopher Columbus  

“I am a most noteworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvelous Presence.” -Christopher Columbus

“No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Saviour, if it is just and if the intention is purely for His holy service.”  -Christopher Columbus

“There are trees of a thousand sorts, and all have their several fruits; and I feel the most unhappy man in the world not to know them, for I am well assured that they are all valuable. I bring home specimens of them, and also of the land.”  -Christopher Columbus

“I believe that there are many herbs and many trees that are worth much in Europe for dyes and for medicines; but I do not know, and this causes me great sorrow. Arriving at this cape, I found the smell of the trees and flowers so delicious that it seemed the pleasantest thing in the world.”  -Christopher Columbus

“Riches don’t make a man rich, they only make him busier.”  -Christopher Columbus

“And I say that Your Highnesses ought not to consent that any foreigner does business or sets foot here, except Christian Catholics since this was the end and the beginning of the enterprise, that it should be for the enhancement and glory of the Christian religion, nor should anyone who is not a good Christian come to these parts.  Here may be found the first suggestion of the exclusive colonial policy that Spain and other nations followed.”  -Christopher Columbus

(Thank God for our American Religious Liberty, a liberty Baptists have championed.) 

“It is easy to discover what another has discovered before.”  -Christopher Columbus

Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent.  Those that are enlightened before the others are condemned to pursue that light in spite of the others.”  -Christopher Columbus

Happy Columbus Day! 

-David R. Brumbelow, gulfcoastpastor.blogspot.com, October 11, AD 2021. 

Articles:

13 Reasons Why Not to Commit Suicide

11 Reasons to Not Drink Alcohol

John Calvin Killing Servetus


Quotes by Thomas Sowell

The Doctrine Of The Trinity


Other Articles in lower right margin (web version). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?