Several things deeply concern me about the Trustees firing Dr. Paige Patterson.
1. Why was Dr. Patterson not given more time to present his answers and his case on May 22, 2018?
2. Why was he apparently not even consulted, or allowed to defend himself, on May 30 when he was fired?
3. Why was this done when Patterson was out of the country?
4. Why was he fired by a sub-group, rather than all of the Trustees?
5. Why so much disrespect, distain, toward Patterson?
6. Why has SWBTS and BP not allowed detailed evidence in Patterson’s favor to be presented and made public?
7. Why has negative evidence been presented in detail, but not positive evidence?
8. Why have you not allowed the evidence of Sharayah Colter to be revealed to Trustees and the public?
9. Have you attempted or asked to get relevant documents publicly released?
The first one to plead his cause seems right, until his neighbor comes and examines him. -Proverbs 18:17, NKJV
Dr. Norman Geisler’s Statement on Paige Patterson
“He [Dr. Paige Patterson] did nothing worthy of being fired. No biblical grounds were given, let alone seriously considered. There are numerous Christian leaders who have committed sins worthy of discipline. Patterson is not one of them; he hasn’t committed any such sins. On the contrary, he has done many things worthy of exaltation.”
“Many who opposed Dr. Patterson were apparently caught up in winds of the #MeToo movement of the day. But no doctrinal or moral charges were even offered, let alone proven by two or more credible witnesses against him. Rather, personal opinions about isolated cases were offered.”
-Norman Geisler, May 28, AD 2018.
Defense of Paige Patterson, by Sharayah Colter
Update, From Baptist Press
"No reasonable reading of” correspondence from Patterson's personal archives suggested Lively "reported a rape to Dr. Patterson" in 2003 when he was Southeastern's president "and certainly not that he ignored" such a report, "as is alleged."
"Dr. Patterson first learned of the charges that he allegedly did not report a rape at SEBTS during the May 22 board meeting" of Southwestern's trustees. "Dr. Patterson's response was that he had no recollection of a rape being reported to him."
Sharpe told BP Patterson didn't "remember a lady reporting a rape" while he was at Southeastern, so he called Allan Moseley, Southeastern's dean of students in 2003. "Dr. Moseley said, 'I don't recall the lady telling me that.' And then the lady who became [Lively's] accountability partner" said, when she was queried May 22, "I don't ever remember this student telling me that."http://bpnews.net/51010/patterson-attorney-claims-misrepresentation
Last, pray earnestly for the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention. It meets June 12-13, 2018 in Dallas, Texas.
-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, June 5, AD 2018.
Other Articles in lower right margin.