Christian views about Halloween include:
1. Halloween is just innocent fun where you scare kids and trick-or-treat. Some churches even used to have a “Haunted House.”
2. Some add to #1 a few innocent, or not so innocent pranks. A common one years ago was turning over outhouses.
3. We should be cautious because Halloween has overtones of witchcraft.
4. We should not participate in Halloween at all because of its association with witchcraft, evil, etc.
5. Many Christians enjoy giving out candy to trick-or-treaters and including a Gospel tract geared to kids and / or Halloween. (See Halloween tracts at www.ATStracts.org; 800/548-7228). Or you could make your own flyer presenting the Gospel and inviting them to church.
6. Many churches now have a Fall Festival at Halloween. They de-emphasize the witchcraft side but have a great party for kids. It is a safe place for kids to go on Halloween. It gives them a chance to present kids and parents with the Gospel (Good News of Jesus).
7. Some churches have a “Judgment House” that presents what the Bible teaches about sin, forgiveness, Heaven and Hell.
Whatever your view of Halloween, a believer should have nothing to do with witchcraft, the occult, or astrology (astronomy is OK!).
Deuteronomy 18:10-14, The Bible (NKJV)
“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you.” (See also Leviticus 19:26, 31; Galatians 5:20; etc.)
Our final say should be the Word of God.
-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, October 29, AD 2012.
Why Use Tracts?
Sources of Gospel Tracts; Tract Racks
More articles in lower right hand margin.