Last year a San Antonio Express News editorial supporting man-made Global Warming was published. It lamented the fact that so many still reject this idea. Following are some reasons why so many Americans reject this agenda.
1. When I was in grade school, I was taught man-caused “Global Cooling” by the same group of scientists and experts. The first Earth Day saw protests against Global Cooling. Then, the same group began teaching the opposite, Global Warming.
2. A meteorologist said he had a difficult enough time accurately predicting the weather a week ahead of time; there was no way he could accurately predict the weather for the next 100 years. Yet Global Warming enthusiasts do so on a regular basis.
3. Sea level rise has actually slowed in recent years, despite carbon emissions. Actual world temperatures have consistently been below Global Warming models / predictions.
4. Our area has just experienced two cold fronts, one the end of July, 2014, the other the first part of August. Earlier this year a Global Warming study ship was trapped by miles of new ice, in the summer, in Antarctica. Isn’t it supposed to be getting warmer?
5. Everything is used to prove Global Warming. If it doesn’t snow, it’s because of Global Warming; if it does snow, it’s because of Global Warming. If there is a drought, or flooding, it’s because of Global Warming. Yet these climate changes have occurred for centuries.
6. The polar ice cap is melting. But what they don’t explain is the growing and receding ice cap, has been going on for decades. Glaciers are melting in some parts of the world; yet glaciers are growing in other parts of the world. Recently Artic ice is receding, however Antarctic ice is increasing. And despite dire predictions, the polar bear population is just fine.
7. Weather goes in cycles, yet that fact is easy to forget. While the Houston, TX area usually gets down only in the 20s and 30s F. in winter, we forget it got down to 7 degrees F. in Houston in 1989. Few remember the terrible ice storm of 1951. Few know that Galveston Bay froze over at least two times in the 1800s. We have hurricanes in Texas, then we go for years with no hurricanes. Weather changes, regardless of what man does. Despite the predictions of global warming, we will have another bitterly cold winter. Seems it happens here roughly every 20 to 50 years.
8. Global Warming supporters often ignore the Medieval Warming Period (c. AD 950-1250). Global temperatures rose during this period long before our modern day industry and transportation. And, as cycles go, it also eventually cooled without the help or interference of mankind.
9. The Global Warming experts have changed from Global Cooling, to Global Warming, to Climate Change. When this change is complete, they’ll not have to worry about skewing the records or being sure the world wide temperature is rising. They will only have to demonstrate the climate is changing. Now that is a winner! The climate always changes. Even before the “evil” internal combustion engines and big oil, the climate radically changed, and the weather often goes in cycles.
For those interested in the scientific evidence, see that evidence and documentation at cornwallalliance.org. See also the book, “The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World’s Top Climate Scientists,” by Roy W. Spencer, a former senior NASA climatologist.
I’m against pollution and for wise use of our God-given resources. I’m also for responsible big oil, exploration, drilling fracking, and pipelines. Unless you walk or ride a bicycle everywhere you go, you should be too.
Why not simply judge environmental protection by its merits. Instead of creating a false crisis, let’s just consider reasonable limits to pollution.
-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, January 26, AD 2015.
Note: This article, slightly revised, was published in the Baytown Sun August 6, 2014.
More Articles (Labels) in lower right margin.