Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Discipline - A Trip to the Drive-In Store


And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.  Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.  -1 Corinthians 9:25 NKJV

A while back I was driving through Houston, TX and stopped at a Drive-In Store (Convenience Store).  You know, the kind that has just about everything.  I was alone, and no one there knew me. 

As I walked in, I began thinking of the things there I could not have. 
They had beer and all kinds of alcohol.  But I could not have that. 
They had dirty magazines.  I stay away from that. 
They had tobacco, but I don’t smoke or chew. 
Lottery tickets, but I don’t gamble. 
They had all manner of candy (Snickers, Milky Way, Reese’s, Butterfinger, 5th Avenue…).  I’m diabetic so I could have none of that.  That included kettle cooked jalapeno potato chips, pretzels.  They say bread and chips just turn to sugar; it’s not fair.  Sadly, I could have no Little Debbie Cake Rolls. 
I could not even get an icee (frozen drink) or a regular soft drink; too much sugar.  I just can’t win! 
So, I kind of laughed at myself, bought a Diet Dr. Pepper (sugar-free soft drink) and left.  And hey, I did save a lot of money. 

Some may argue that’s legalism.  No, it’s just being prudent and wise  (Proverbs 22:3; Romans 16:19).  Self-destructive behavior is, well, self-destructive.  We are to be temperate in all things. 

The Sunday School Helper of 1896 wisely quoted, “Temperance is the moderate use of all things helpful and total abstinence from all things harmful.” 

So, as I raise an ice-cold Diet Dr. Pepper, here’s to you.  May you live a wise, prudent, productive life. 

-David R. Brumbelow, gulfcoastpastor.blogspot.com, November 5, AD 2019. 

PS – I will admit my eating habits are not perfect, but I’m sincerely striving to do better.  I do eat my fruits and vegetables and drink V8 (vegetable juice).  It seems all life is a discipline. 

Articles: 


Many more Articles in lower right margin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?