Wednesday, November 2, 2016

He Maketh No Mistake - A Great Poem of Comfort

As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. -Psalm 18:30

He Maketh No Mistake

My Father’s way may twist and turn
My heart may throb and ache,
But in my soul I’m glad to know,
He maketh no mistake.

My cherished plans may go astray,
My hopes may fade away,
But still I’ll trust my Lord to lead,
For He doth know the way.

Tho’ night be dark and it may seem
That day will never break,
I’ll pin my faith, my all, in Him,
He maketh no mistake.

There’s so much now I cannot see,
My eyesight’s far too dim,
But come what may,
I’ll simply trust and leave it all to Him.

For by and by the mist will lift,
And plain it all He’ll make,
Through all the way, tho’ dark to me,
He made not one mistake.
 
- A.M. Overton, AD 1932

This is a poem I’ve used many times in Funeral Services.  It is a poem that has been a real comfort to many.  It is printed in W. A. Criswell’s Guidebook for Pastors.  What I did not know until recently is this poem was written by the father of a beloved professor at Southwestern BaptistTheological Seminary.  Dr. Bob Overton grew up in Mississippi and pastored for years in Houston, Texas.  He then began teaching at the Houston Extension of SWBTS.  I had the privilege of having Dr. Overton as one of my professors when I was working on my Master of Divinity degree.  He was an interesting, pastoral, outstanding professor. 

Now, back to Bob Overton’s father, the author of this poem. 

“In 1932, my grandfather, A.M. Overton, was a pastor of a church in Mississippi with a wife and three small children. His wife was pregnant with their fourth child but when it came time for delivery, there were complications and both she and the baby died. During the funeral service, the preacher officiating the service noticed my grandfather writing something on a piece of paper. After the service the minister asked him about it, and he handed him the paper with a poem he had just written which he titled, ‘He Maketh No Mistake’”.  -Rob Overton, grandson. 

Read the entire story: 

A great poem, and a great legacy. 

-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, November 2, AD 2016. 

PS - This is an update of a previous post.  

Articles: 

More articles in lower right margin.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?