In Harris County and just outside of Houston, Texas, Deputy Sheriff Darren Goforth was a customer at a gas station. He was in uniform. As the white Deputy walked back to his vehicle, a black man walked up behind him and shot him in the back of the head. He continued to shoot him as the Deputy crumpled to the ground.
Later, Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman said,
“We’ve heard ‘black lives matter.’ ‘All lives matter.’ Well cops’ lives matter too. So why don’t we just drop the qualifying and just say, ‘lives matter.’”
The misreporting and misrepresentation of the incident in Ferguson, Missouri, and other such incidents have apparently led to the murder of several police officers. Lately racial issues have gotten worse instead of better.
A few general thoughts about racism.
1. White police officers are not systematically hunting down and murdering innocent, unarmed black men. The facts simply do not support this.
2. “Hands up, don’t shoot,” is a blatant misrepresentation of the facts of the Ferguson, Missouri incident. Don’t perpetuate this untruth; and call people on it when they do. Facts matter, a lot.
3. Misrepresenting incidents to make them look racially motivated, do not reduce racism, they aggravate racism. They may even aggravate racist murders against white police officers.
4. Bringing down a Confederate flag may make some feel good, but does nothing to reduce racism. In fact, it may incite it. Perhaps both sides should respect the other’s cultural heritage. I say this as white man who does not fly a Confederate flag. Stop forcing everyone to be politically correct.
5. True racism is clearly wrong. America has a history of this, but thank God most of that is in the past.
6. Not all claims of racism are, in fact, true.
7. Some use racism as an excuse for their inappropriate behavior.
8. Some are way too sensitive about racial issues.
9. We all suffer from daily or weekly slights that have nothing to do with racism.
10. America is incredibly less racist than it was 50 years ago. Most everything Martin Luther King asked for in his “I Have A Dream” message has been accomplished.
11. There is such a thing as white privilege; there is also such a thing as black privilege. Two young men are equally intelligent, capable, men of integrity, have a positive attitude and good work ethic. One is black, one is white. Today in America in many situations the black man would actually have the advantage in getting a job. However, both should easily get and keep a good job.
Regardless of race, if one has a bad attitude and poor work ethic, he is going to have a tough time getting and keeping a job.
Some in law enforcement have said one reason more blacks are not serving as policemen is because if they are qualified to do so, they are also qualified to get a higher paying job, and probably a job with less stress.
12. Racists come in all colors.
13. If a white man murders a black man, whether for racist or other reasons, that white man should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The same goes for any other combination of races. How about judging men by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin?
14. Do not make a hero out of a criminal, regardless of his ethnicity.
15. If a man or woman of any color is smart-aleck and combative when a police officer stops them, expect that they will get in trouble, go to jail, or worse. The same goes for resisting, or fleeing from, an officer. On the other hand, if a police officer abuses his authority, he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
16. Teach your children to respect, and submit to, those in authority. If those in authority are out of line, go through the proper channels to remedy the situation. Also, if you are not a gangster, it may help to not dress or act like one. Walk in a store on a hot sunny day with a bad attitude and a hoody, and you can expect to be viewed with suspicion.
17. Teach your children to have a good, positive attitude in general. Don’t have them walking around with a chip on their shoulder. This also helps in getting and keeping a job.
18. Planned Parenthood kills more African-Americans (through abortion) in a year than the Ku Klux Klan killed in their entire history. I don’t support either one.
19. News media should be much more careful about inciting racial incidents. They should fairly present both sides.
20. Do not follow a crowd to do evil.
You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice. You shall not show partiality to a poor man in his dispute. -Exodus 23:2-3.
21. A biblical church should welcome anyone of any race.
22. Everyone wants to be treated with respect. Treat everyone with respect, unless there is clear reason to not do so.
23. All lives matter!
-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, October 6, AD 2015.
Nelson Mandela Quotes; and Comments About Mandela
Quotes by Martin Luther King, Jr.