But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. -John 20:31
1. Preach evangelistic sermons.
If you need some information along these lines, listen to the preaching of men like Billy Graham, Franklin Graham, Adrian Rogers. Read their sermons. See how good, solid, evangelistic churches do it.
Always point to salvation in Jesus Christ.
Don’t assume people know how to be saved; assume they don’t know how to be saved. Make salvation simple and easy to understand.
2. Give an evangelistic invitation.
See how the above give or gave an invitation.
See the books:
Giving a Good Invitation by Dr. Roy Fish of SWBTS.
The Public Invitation by Samuel Fisk, biblicalevangelist.org
Whosoever Will by David L. Allen & Steve W. Lemke, B&H; chapter on The Public Invitation and Calvinism.
3. Preach and teach the basics of soul-winning.
The Roman Road method of presenting the plan of salvation still works (Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10, 13). Some use the one verse method of Romans 6:23. Others use John 3:16. Whatever method, teach church members how to share their faith.
Especially teach Sunday School teachers, deacons, and church leaders how to witness.
A good place to start is with the book,
Share Jesus Without Fear, by William Fay, B&H.
Some state Baptist conventions have good evangelistic training programs and materials.
4. Encourage people to memorize evangelistic Bible verses.
Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10, 13; John 1:12; 3:16; 14:6; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 John 1:9; Revelation 3:20.
5. Use tracts and other Christian literature that present the gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ.
Point out that most Southern Baptist Sunday School literature (LifeWay) has a special page that presents the plan of salvation.
Occasionally include the plan of salvation in your church bulletin and other church literature. This helps the lost; it also helps the saved to know how to share their faith.
6. Make a big deal out of it when someone gets saved and when they get baptized.
After all, it is a big deal. When a little boy or girl, man or woman trusts Jesus as their Lord and Savior, there is rejoicing in Heaven. (Luke 15:7)
7. Realize that often a personal word of witness will do more than 40 evangelistic sermons.
8. Attend evangelistic churches and see how they do it.
Attend revivals and learn from evangelists. Attend evangelism conferences.
9. Have a revival, Bible Conference, Vacation Bible School, or other special event evangelistic meeting at your church.
SBC Evangelists: www.sbcevangelist.org
Texas Baptist Evangelists: www.cotbe.org
10. Teach people to invite others to church where they can hear the gospel.
Offer to give them a ride to church. Make visitors feel welcome and comfortable in church.
11. Never preach a funeral without sharing the plan of salvation.
This gives a great opportunity to share the gospel with those who will not come to your church and may be thinking of spiritual things for the first time.
12. Do not go to the extreme of too much pressure or manipulating people to get evangelistic decisions.
But don’t go to the other extreme and deemphasize the importance of a personal decision for Jesus Christ.
13. Pray specifically for the lost.
Pray that more may be saved through your church’s ministry.
14. As the pastor, make sure you practice what you preach.
This is not an exhaustive list, but it gives some basic things a pastor and church can do to reach more people for Christ.
-David R. Brumbelow, Gulf Coast Pastor, July 21, AD 2015.
Unlimited Atonement, Jesus Died For All
Saved By The Sinner's Prayer
The Roman Road of Salvation
The Girl Who Saved His Ministry
Revelation 3:20 - Can We Use It In Evangelism?
More article in lower right margin.